Announcing the Arrival of
Logan Blaine Swallow
The Stats:
March 5, 2013 @ 11:01pm
5lbs 8oz
18 inches long
13.25 inches Head
11 inches Chest
Strawberry blond hair
Cute elf like ears
Long fingers and toes
Logan's Story
Before birth, Logan's growth was being tracked very closely by the Doctors. At 36 weeks we found out he had a growth spurt with an estimated weight of 5lbs 2oz! With the amniotic fluid still looking good the Doctor said we could go another two weeks without risk of complication. This was wonderful news for us and would give Logan the title of "full term."
On March 4th we went in for the 38 week ultra sound. It was late in the afternoon on a warm spring day as I drove into Boise for the appointment. Maybe it was the warm car and bright sun, but I felt like I had never been so tired in all my life! All I wanted to do was go back home for a nice long nap...little did I know that the days of peaceful afternoon naps were long gone! The ultra sound estimated Logan's new weight at 5lbs 6oz. Although he had gained some weight, it was not a significant amount for a two week period. The US tech left the room and Trent and I anxiously awaited for more information. Dr. Bobrowski soon came into the room and announced, "Well, I think it is time we have a baby!" She scanned my belly one more time and commented that my placenta was "quite impressive" (and not in the good kind of impressive way). After a discussion of all the pros and cons of early delivery vs. waiting I asked, "So when should we schedule the delivery, Tuesday or Wednesday?" Dr. Bobrowski smiled and said, "oh no, you are going to go over to Labor and Delivery NOW!"
All of a sudden 38weeks of preparation and waiting was not nearly enough. I was not ready to be a mom!...I didn't even have my bag with me! (But Dr. B ensured me I can give birth without the hospital bag.) As we walked into the Labor and Delivery unit I felt like I was in one of those weird dreams where you just magically show up in a new place and are not sure how you got there. At 4pm we checked in and I soon found myself in a very flattering hospital gown standing in the middle of our private labor and delivery room staring at Trent and thinking, "what have we gotten ourselves into?"
Because of the condition of my placenta and Logan's small size I had to be hooked up to monitors constantly. Through the course of the entire labor I could hear Logan's heart beating steadily which provided great comfort to me. To make a very long 31 hour story short...My induction started around 5pm on March 4th. My contractions became stronger and closer together throughout the night and into the next day...and into the next night...After 24 hours of labor I hit a wall that I could not get over! I was starving, exhausted, and in a considerable amount of pain. To make the wall harder to break through my cervix was not dilating!!! OK I WANT AN EPIDURAL! I knew we still had a long night ahead of us and needed relief.
After four hours with the epidural I was still only dilated to a three! We decided, with my favorite doctor ever, Dr. Minge, that I would be checked again at 10pm and if there wasn't any progress we would consider a C-Section. 10pm eventually came and sure enough...I was still a three! After 31 hours of labor I had made very little progress -- oh how discouraging! Clearly there was something going on inside that was preventing me from dilating and progressing toward delivery. Around 10:05pm my room began filling with various people preparing me for surgery...whoa! It was all so exciting. At this point I decided to just embrace the whole experience and enjoy the journey even though it wasn't the way I had hoped this journey to go. At 10:30pm I was wheeled into the operating room and moved onto the operating table. The moment was so surreal. I have been a witness to hundreds of surgeries in the past and helped move many patients onto a very similar table--now I was the patient! Crazy! Once all the drapes were in place Trent joined me at the head of the bed and the surgery began. The moments just before Logan was born were so sacred for me. I felt an overwhelming peace and pure excitement. At 11:01pm I heard the most wonderful noise...crying! and several nurses exclaim, "oh he is so cute! He has red hair!" (as a side note: my first thought when I heard he has red hair was "WHAT!???!!!? am I in the right operating room?")
I peeked behind the drapes to see my beautiful boy kicking and screaming. Tears poured down my cheeks. I was the happiest mom in the world. I watched as Trent tenderly assisted in Logan's care, holding his hand, and talking to him.
Within minutes Logan was brought to my side. Words can't describe the tender feelings I had in this moment. My joy was full.
While I was being stitch back together, Logan and Trent went off on an adventure of bath time measuring.
Logan LOVED getting his hair washed (and still does).
I soon joined my sweet boys in the recovery room and eventually we were taken to our post partum room where we spent the next three days resting, recovering, and enjoying our new little man!
This is Logan's "going home attire" It was the smallest outfit we had for him at the time!
Going home!
As I look back on this crazy week my sudden shift in hormones tells me, 'it was all worth it!' My heart has been filled with so much love and joy for this little man. I feel a peace in our home that I can only imagine is close to the peace of heaven. I can't take my eyes off of this boy! He is our little miracle. I feel deep gratitude to our Heavenly Father for blessing us with Logan. I am also very grateful to know and receive constant reassurance that we are in His constant care.
kate & trent! he is a gorgeous baby! i know everyone says newborns are beautiful and cute, but he is beyond that:) beautiful skin and such a perfect face! oh i want to hold him.
ReplyDeletethanks for sharing his story. i'm grateful prayers were answered and he arrived safe and healthy. love you all.
I just showed Heath all of Logan's pictures and from one pic in particular he wanted to know if trent tried nursing... how did it turn out? ha
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm in love. Love this post full of pictures and a beautiful birth story. And love the Swallow trio. He is ADORABLE and absolutely PERFECT! I wouldn't be able to stop starring at him either. Can't wait to meet this little man.
ReplyDelete